My friend, Azra, recently asked me how I find time to exercise and eat well when I have a full time job, a decent commute, and a social life to balance. So….. here is my rundown.
A day in the life – my balancing act.
First off, I plan for the next day the night before – I decided what I will be having for breakfast, and set it out. For example, I will put everything in the blender if I am having a smoothie, so that way i can blend it in the morning, and be on my way. The same goes for coffee, and lunch. Its all ready for me when I wake up….early.
I prefer to complete my workouts first thing because:
- the distractions are minimized if I get it over with in the morning
- the afternoon thundershowers are a killer for running – they always get in the way
- My nights are instantly freed up
I wake up at 5:15 am, and am out the door by 5:30. This way I am home to have plenty of time to shower and get ready for my day.
I get to work by 8am for my standard work day. At the office I am able to:
- take advantage of getting my strength training done over my lunch hour
- get in a quick running interval workout during lunch if I slept in that morning
- take a walk around the lake that is on our property if I need a quick break
My evenings are spent much more care-free, and doing the things I really want to do. It’s nice knowing that being so productive in the morning really pays off at night. I like to have the time to cook a good meal, and not feel rushed to do it. It makes it a lot more fun!
My 3 secrets to relaxing on weeknights include:
- planning meals on the weekend, and get all the food you need in one trip – now you dont have to go back to the grocery during the week
- plan meals that you can use the same ingredients during the week (herbs and veggies will not spoil this way)
- Make enough extra food so you can have at least one round of leftovers. For example, this week I made Black Bean Burgers in a double batch. Some for leftovers during the week, and the rest to put in the freezer for another time.
Being prepared and planning ahead tends to really work for us, and is the only way I am able to get everything done in the day, and STILL have time to spend with Marcus and my family, even on a work day. And of course, the schedule sometimes goes awry, and that is when I realize that being flexible is a great trait to possess.