I got out this morning and ran a quick 20 minutes to get ready for tomorrow!! The weather here in Nashville was in the 50′s, and was absolutely gorgeous! It was actually a little chilly for the first few minutes, which is always a nice surprise. The weather in LA was cold, rainy, and smoggy – not my idea of California at all! Looks like it is going to climb into the 80′s tomorrow for the race, so I am hydrating up today! I should be done before the real heat begins, but I am definitely getting ready for the warmth!
There are a few things that I absolutely must do before running a marathon. We all have our quirks, right? Well here are mine!
- Cut my toenails – I cut down all my toenails so I don’t have any issues on race day. I have run a few too many times where my longer nails cut into the side of the one next to them. Such an easy fix, but can be very uncomfortable if I don’t do it!
- A quick shakeout run - no matter what the distance, I have to go for a shakeout run the day before the race. Mentally and physically, I need to get out and clear my head, and get myself mentally ready for run. I went and ran for 20 minutes this morning and feel awesome now!
- Drink Smartwater – this is a relatively new one. The last few months, I have been drinking Smartwater before running, so I make sure that I do that the day before running 26.2!
- A midday nap – I do not always get this one done, since sometimes it is hard to get in a snooze when traveling. However, I did get in a nap today! (hence the late published post). I know that the night before the race, I am not going to get good rest, so catching a few extra zzz’s the day before the race is an awesome perk!
- Studying the Course Map - I always like to look at the course map, although it makes absolutely no difference. It’s not as if I need to know where I am going - I’ll just follow the people in front of me regardless. Even so, I like to know where the course takes me.
Do you have any quirks before marathons (or any other races)??