Running Tattoos

One aspect that I believe to be very unique about running, is that it’s not just a sport – its pretty  much a lifestyle. The more and more you get involved in running, people around you start to catch the bug and sign up for races, you meet new and exciting people on training runs, and at some point, running becomes fun! It’s not as hard as it once was, and there is actually a lot of fun to be had (not there yet?…. trust me, it will come!)

And then you get further into it. You run a big race, and what’s the first thing you want to do?! Slap that 13.1  or 26.2 sticker on your car. And of course, there are some of us that take it a step further. I’m talking about running tattoos! There are so many out there that I have seen, some good, and some pretty bad – but all a depiction of the canvas they are on.

(Source)

(Source)

(Source)

So why the tattoo talk? No, I’m not getting one – well uhh, another one that is. When I was back in college, I knew I wanted a running tattoo, but I couldn’t decide on what kind. I thought about it for months and months, and then finally decided on something that I would like to be stuck with for the rest of time.

It’s a running kokopelli. I have always loved the way the kokopelli looks, and what is stands for. Yes, it does represent fertility, but that isn’t the meaning I am talking about. It also represents mischief, music, and replenishment – all things that I  like to take part in :)

I love my running tattoo. It is never something I have ever regretted getting!

Do you have a running (or triathlon) tattoo? What is it of? If you don’t have one, would you get one?!

1. Nanci
    Nanci May 25, 2012 at 10:29 am |

I’m new to your blog, I like this post. I just did my first half marathon in February and after I put the 13.1 sticker on my car, I started thinking about getting a 13.1 tattoo on my foot. I haven’t done it yet, but I am giving it serious thought since it was such a huge thing for me. :) I really like your kokopelli tattoo!

2. Courtney
    Courtney May 25, 2012 at 11:25 am |

I am getting the Ironman M dot next September. No running tats for me.

3. Theresa @ActiveEggplant
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant May 25, 2012 at 1:00 pm |

I dont have a running tattoo…but I have a cycling one! I got it after my first ‘long distance’ mountain bike event. It was only 35 miles but was the bardest thing I had ever done at the time and I knew I wanted to commemorate it! Cycling has become so much more for me since then so I’m siper glad I have it!

4. Laura is Undeterrable
    Laura is Undeterrable May 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm |

I have a figure skating tattoo. I used to want to get a wing and 26.2 on my heel after my first marathon, but I decided against it after the fact.

5. DyFish
    DyFish March 15, 2013 at 10:36 am |

I am flying out to Portland to spend some time with my older brother. He is getting a cyclist outlined by the state of Oregon. I am getting a running one but I was trying to determine if I should include the fact that I am a mom not just a runner. ya know?

6. Hughie McMillan
    Hughie McMillan April 9, 2013 at 12:28 am |

On Sunday I completed my first half marathon in Knoxville, TN. I’m not a runner……..yet. However, I AM going to get me a 13.1 tattoo on my left calf. Why? Because completing a half marathon is a HUGE accomplishment for me. I cramp horribly bad whenever I exercise (in December I was only able to do seven of eleven miles of a Tough Mudder because of cramping). I also weigh 326lbs, so like I said, making it 13.1 miles is a major deal to me.

7. arthur
    arthur May 21, 2013 at 10:22 am |

I got my first tattoo at 63 years old to commemorate my first bike race after surviving cancer three times. After many 5K road races and a trail race, I completed my first half marathon this week (now 66 years old) and will be getting a running tat of some sort to commemorate that also.