Tampa Running Groups

How many times have you seen herds of people all running down the street, on a weekday night? You can probably bet that a run group is en route on their daily run. Running groups used to be very hard to come by. It was hard to have an establishment host a sweaty group of runners, let alone encourage it. Now, running groups are popping up all over the place! Unsure whether or not you want to start running in a group? Here are a few of  my favorite reasons:

Anyone can join!

No matter your running skill level, running groups are open to absolutely anyone that just wants to lace up their sneakers and get in a few miles. Not up to the 5k that is advertised as the course? No big deal, just complete a shorter route and meet up with everyone at the finish.

A great place to make new friends

Don’t worry if you do not know anyone coming in to the group – you will definitely know someone when you leave. Just running beside someone for 30 minutes is a sure way to get to know them. Start up a conversation! You never know, you might just find a new running buddy!

Learn new routes to run

I don’t know about you, but running the same route, day after day, can really get old! Just by putting yourself in a new environment can make a huge difference, and you may love the new streets that you run down.

If you are in the  South Tampa area and looking for a group to run with check out the days and groups below! You are bound to find one that you love!

Monday

Lululemon Run Club

Meet at the store in Hyde Park Village at 6:30! There are routes anywhere from 1 mile to 5 miles that are mapped out just for you! There is always water at the finish (not to mention a store full of some crazy cute clothes) and there are some after run treats from time to time :)

Tuesday

Four Green Fields Run Club

This Running Club’s tagline is “A Bunch of Drinkers With a Running Problem”. The run starts at 6pm, but get there early – parking is hard to come by and you will want to sign in! After 10 runs, you get a tech t-shirt! There is a 1 time, $3 fee.

Running For Brews – MacDintons

MacDinton’s in South Tampa hosts Running for Brews on Tuesday Nights. They also have a t-shirt program, so get there early to get your punch card stamped! The run starts at 7pm, and runners can go anywhere from 1 to 7 miles.

Wednesday

Irish 31 Run Club

Irish 31 Running Club meets weekly on Wednesdays at 6:30pm. There is a complimentary buffet and $2 Miller Lite drafts for runners, plus get a free Irish31 Running Club Dry Fit T-shirt after the 5th run.

Running for Brew – Pour House

This is Running for Brews newest location! They host Wednesday’s run club over in Channelside at the Pour House at 7pm!

Thursday

Running for Brews – World of Beer

On Thursdays, the same group that hosts run club at MacDintons and Pourhouse  heads over to World of Beer in South Tampa. This run also starts at 7pm, and has a t-shirt program too!

Running for Brews also hosts run clubs over in Dunedin and St. Petersburg as well, so check them out if you are in the area!

Do you like to run in a group? Do you like it? I know I am missing some run clubs that are in Tampa – have any to add?

1. MizFit
    MizFit July 11, 2012 at 8:09 am |

You’d think living in austin id have tried a running group huh? :-)
    Not. Yet.

2. Christieo
    Christieo July 11, 2012 at 8:16 am |

Great post! I love running in groups, it not only pushes me but it’s safety in numbers! I like to run with the Running for Brews gang out of the Dunedin Brewery, we run the Pinellas Trail on Thursday nights! It’s a blast!!! There’s also a Palm Harbor Running group that runs the Causeway on Tuesday nights, can you tell I LOVE RUN GROUPS?!! Outspokin bikes in Pinellas also hosts an interval workout at Eagle Lake Park on Monday nights — tons of people from my tri group (Tri Warriors) go to that too.

3. misszippy
    misszippy July 11, 2012 at 8:24 am |

Look at all those choices you have! Very cool. I belong to my local club (am on the board, actually) and getting in with the group was the best move I’ve made for my running, and for my friendships!

4. Meg
    Meg July 11, 2012 at 11:15 am |

I love the running groups I’ve found! For a long time, I considered myself a solo runner who preferred to run by myself. Once I got over the initial intimidation factor and joined a running group, I realized that I perform much better when I’m training with other people. Sure, I still love the runs by myself, but I know that if I have a tempo run or track intervals on the schedule I’m more likely to have a better workout if I run with others!

Also, I recommend people who relocate join running groups as soon as possible. I wish I had done that when I moved to DC as I met some of my closest friends through my club.

PS, just emailed this to myself – what a great round up of Tampa running groups!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm |

I love being part of a running club (The Running Divas no less). They are great friends to me now and it’s nice to have that support. The only thing that is a negative for me is that there are a lot of FAST girls in the group. I would keep up with them before and I think that contributed to my injuries of this year. So, as much as I love running with them I also have to be sure to run for my own body’s needs too.

6. Genna
    Genna July 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm |

I have been running on Thursday’s with Fitniche at the wiregrass mall in wesley chapel. They begin at 6:30! I have certainly met a bunch of people there and I have found everyone is so friendly and nice. I hope to get to the Lululemon one one of these days! It has been on my list since they opened.

7. Lisa N.
    Lisa N. July 12, 2012 at 4:48 pm |

I’ve checked out several of these groups. Usually a good time, although some of them are super fast and hard for a slow runner (like me) to keep up with.

A couple more:
    Wings Gone Wild in South Tampa has a group on Wednesday nights (I think) with Orange Theory Fitness and Beef O’Brady’s on MacDill has a group on Thursday nights called Team Hope for Warriors. Both have drink specials for runners after the run.

I also recommend that everyone in the area join Run Tampa on Facebook. It is a great way to connect with other runners, learn about new routes, get advice, and find others who are your pace. It is runners of all levels. There is an official coach and you can pay for workouts during the week to work on speed, distance, etc. They also have a FREE weekend run every weekend somewhere in the Tampa Bay area (sometimes its running the Clearwater bridges, the Upper Tampa Bay Trail, Flatwoods, Bayshore, Trout Creek, etc). Everyone goes at their own pace and does whatever distance they like. The Run Tampa website also maintains a really comprehensive list of area races to plan your race calendar. I met my running buddy by training with them and although I don’t train with them anymore I still do weekend runs from time to time.

8. Beka
    Beka July 13, 2012 at 7:57 am |

Thanks Mary! I just became familiar with run groups, and I liked my first time out! I have been a lone runner up until about a month ago when running buddies came into my life! It is awesome to have someone or a group to chat with. It makes the miles go by so quickly.
    I ran with the Brandon Running group, they have group runs scheduled and even a track workout day. http://www.brandonrunning.com

Hopefully one of these days I can make it to the lululemon or Running for Brews meet ups!

9. Sneakers2Sandals
    Sneakers2Sandals July 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm |

I’ve been meaning to check some of these out…but after working out in the morning it’s hard to motivate myself to get all sweaty/shower again!

10. Steph
    Steph July 14, 2012 at 11:31 am |

Great post! (and love the new blog header!).
    I started a beginner’s run group through Meetup.com for super beginners who have a goal of completing a 5k. I have yet to join one of the groups you wrote about just because I’ve always been scared of being too slow. I’m warming up to the idea though!

Here’s my meetup’s link: http://www.meetup.com/everymilecounts
    We usually meet on Mondays and Tuesdays on Bayshore or Al Lopez park to do anywhere from 2-4 miles.

-Steph

11. 6 Ways to Exercise for Free!
    6 Ways to Exercise for Free! September 19, 2012 at 8:30 am |

[...] is a very easy one. There are running groups all over the place – seriously, every week night in Tampa, you can find one. It is a great place to get into the sport, and a great way to meet new people. [...]

12. Celebs Without Makeup
    Celebs Without Makeup October 18, 2013 at 8:59 am |

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time
    and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a
    lot of spam comments? If so how do you prevent it,
    any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much
    lately it’s driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

13. descargar.cc
    descargar.cc October 6, 2014 at 4:37 am |

This is my first time visit at here and i am actually impressed to read all at alone place.

14. passive income
    passive income October 22, 2014 at 6:53 pm |

I enjoy what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the great works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my
    blogroll.