The Nathan Quickdraw Plus

A couple of weeks ago, I needed some advice on which water bottle I should buy to run with. Well, after so much amazing advice, I finally chose one!

I went with the Nathan Quickdraw Plus. I really like the size of the bottle, since it holds 22 oz. I have taken the bottle on 2 runs so far, and have not even been close to finishing the whole thing. However, it will be put to the test this weekend when I attempt my first long run! I’m excited to try it! The pocket in the front is perfect for fuel and a few keys or an ID – I use a Road ID, so I don’t need to worry about carrying an id in there.

One of the concerns that was voiced a couple of times in the comments of my inquiry post was that the bottle was actually too cold against the people’s hands at first. This is something that I haven’t minded at all. My hands actually sweat a bit, so being cooled down by the bottle was actually welcomed. And I really like how the hand strap is reflective, and completely adjustable.

It doesn’t rub at all, and really does stay in place. The mouth piece is easy to pull in and out, and I like being able to easily squeeze the bottle instead of having to suck on the mouth piece. The bottle easily goes in and out of the strap for cleaning, so there is no issue there!

I will say that my only complaint is that I am actually having to carry a waterbottle. I know, its silly, but wow – it really makes a difference in my arms! The first time I brought the bottle with me, I was doing a tempo run, and found my arms getting fatigued pretty quickly. I switched arms about every 1.5 miles, and it was much more doable. I found that yesterday it was even easier to carry the bottle, so I am sure that I will just get used to the weight in the next couple of weeks. I really just didn’t want to get a waist hydration system. For whatever reason, I wanted one to hold instead.

Did your arms get tired when you first started carrying a water bottle? Did it get easier with time?

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this review. It was completely my choice to purchase this water bottle, and did so on my own accord. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. Lydia @ Inhabit the Beauty
    Lydia @ Inhabit the Beauty July 13, 2012 at 8:22 am |

I really love my Nathan handheld.

I find that I have to switch hands quite often – either because my hand gets cold or just fatigued. It is so handy to have a ready source of hydration, though. I keep trying to run races without it, thinking the race-provided hydration stations will be enough, but they never are. I guess I should listen to that old adage about playing the way you practice. If you train with a water bottle, you should probably race with one!

2. Amanda @ Run Principessa
    Amanda @ Run Principessa July 13, 2012 at 9:40 am |

Oh, I might have to try this water bottle! It sounds like you really like it. I’ll definitely pay attention to how your long run goes with it! Plus, it would just be wonderful to have a water bottle named Quickdraw. But maybe that’s just me. :)

3. Meg
    Meg July 13, 2012 at 10:14 am |

After our super hot run last week, I immediately went to a running store and picked up the insulated Nathan Quickdraw handheld. I also got the Amphipod because I couldn’t decide between the two. So far, I’ve done two shorter runs and one long run with the Nathan. Honestly, the hardest part is exactly what you said – getting used to holding something while I run. My arm gets so tired and I am clearly NOT ambidextrous because shifting it to my other hand feels so awkward.

Despite the added annoyance of carrying a bottle, it has been really nice having nuun come along with me on those hot, humid runs.

4. Tyra
    Tyra July 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

I actually like that holding a bottle makes me feel like my arms are getting a workout as well as my legs! I only really use mine (an amphipod insulated one) on trail runs, or occasional long runs. I just rely on water fountains normally.

5. Katie
    Katie July 15, 2012 at 1:06 pm |

I’m glad you’re liking the nathan so far! I haven’t been a fan of running with regular water bottles, and I’m not thrilled with the idea of a belt, but why didn’t you consider a camelbak?

6. Casey @ The Baker Bee
    Casey @ The Baker Bee July 16, 2012 at 8:35 am |

I generally only do 3-5 mile runs, so I don’t usually carry water with me, but I’ve been thinking about getting a bottle for when I start training for my next half. For the last one (RnR St. Pete) , I used a mini-mule camelbak, which actually worked great. I trained with it, so I was used to having it on my back, plus it had plenty for room for fuel & whatnot. However, it was a little hot to have something like that against my back. Obviously, on race day it was FREEZING, so that didn’t really matter!! I’ll have to try a Nathan bottle :)

7. Meredith @ DareYouTo
    Meredith @ DareYouTo July 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm |

My runs aren’t usually long enough to warrant carrying a bottle, but I’ve been starting to think about getting myself one, especially to stay hydrated in this summer heat! So your post came just in time; I might give this Nathan Quickdraw a try!

Part of why I haven’t yet gotten one is that I’m afraid I won’t like running with one–just for that arm-weight reason! Don’t want my arm fatigue to be what slows me down.

8. Runner’s Holiday Gift Guide 2012
    Runner’s Holiday Gift Guide 2012 December 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm |

[...] I fought with myself for a long time about whether or not I wanted to get a carry along water bottle for my runs. However, after having one of the most brutal summer training cycles last summer for the Chicago Marathon, I had to get something to hydrate myself. I did a lot of research on waterbottles and worked on finding the perfect one for me. I highly recommend the Nathan Quickdraw! See all my thoughts here! [...]

9. How to Survive Summer Running : Food and Fun on the Run

[...] was drastically different on the days I had my Nuun with me, versus the days I did not. I found the Nathan water bottle is best for me, but there are tons of options out there if you don’t like this one. [...]

10. Favorite Running Gear (That Isn't Shoes!) : Food and Fun on the Run

[...] mentioned this a few times since it is summer and everyone needs hydration, but I fully endorse the Nathan Quickdraw water bottle. It holds plenty of fluids and has a nice pocket that is perfect to put a few Nuun tablets in to [...]