Prepping For My First Triathlon

With everything going on lately, a certain race has definitely crept up on me. And I’m not talking about the Chicago marathon either. Tomorrow is my very first triathlon!! Marcus and I grabbed our race packets last night to avoid the big crowds tonight and tomorrow morning.

image

We presented our id’s and signed our lives away on the waiver. Then it was on to the next stop, our chips.

image

The race volunteer briefed us about where we put the strap, which goes on our left leg so it doesn’t get messed in with the bike gears. I’m glad she mentioned it, because I would have never even thought of it! After getting our chips, we had to get our swim caps.

image

For my age and gender, I was instructed to get a blue cap. Females ages 20-29 are all in the same swim wave, so our matching blue caps will ensure everyone is in the correct spot.

image

Last but not least, we grabbed our race numbers and additional information. There is a whole lot more that goes into a triathlon packet, compared to a standard running road race packet!

image

The number for the run, the bike, and the helmet, along with the swim cap, are all mandatory for the race! Now all I need is to get my body all marked up with my number on race morning, and ill be ready to race!

image

We have a wedding to go to tonight, so it is not exactly my standard pre-race ritual. I am drinking water like crazy, and eating well, so I have that part on lock. Now I just need to set out all of my clothes tonight, and I’ll be ready to go! I still can’t believe the triathlon is already here! Nerves are setting in! Wish me luck!

Chicago Marathon Start

I received an email last night highlighting the new protocol for the start of Chicago. In the past, they have had one start with multiple corrals. This year, they decided to make it more efficient by having 2 starts, with multiple corrals within those starts. I think it is a pretty awesome idea, and should really help to alleviate some of the congestion both at the start, and on the course. I’ll be in Wave 2, Corral C. Anyone else in that starting position too? Look up your corral if you aren’t sure! Here are all of the details, straight from the source!

Did you get nervous before your first triathlon?! Or first race in general? Have any good tips for a first time triathlete?!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 27, 2012 at 8:22 am |

Best wishes on your first tri! I know you will do GREAT though! Have so much fun and I can’t wait to hear all about it. :)

2. Whitney
    Whitney July 27, 2012 at 11:19 am |

Good luck on your first Tri!

They did the 2 wave start at this year’s Shamrock Shuffle (the other HUGE Bank of America sponsored race in Chicago) and it really helped to relieve race congestion at the start. They also lined up the corrals on the side roads leading up to Columbus so even the corrals weren’t crowded.

Excited for you to get to experience the Chicago Marathon!

3. Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run
    Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run July 27, 2012 at 11:28 am |

Good luck tomorrow!!!! So exciting! I just ran my first half marathon this past weekend and man…the nerves were crazy the day/night before. However, once I was there and waiting I was ready and comfortable. Firsts are amazing!!!

4. Robin
    Robin July 27, 2012 at 1:36 pm |

Good luck tomorrow! I did my first triathlon this past weekend and I was crazy nervous but it turned out a million times better than I expected. Have fun!

5. Beth (Running with the Sunrise)
    Beth (Running with the Sunrise) July 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm |

Good luck at your triathlon! Do triathlons always have color coordinated swim caps by age group? (I’m not a triathlete so I don’t know about these things.) Sounds like you’ve been doing a great job of preparing yourself for this race so I’m sure you’ll do really well.

I am in Corral D for the Chicago Marathon. I’m getting excited!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes July 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm |

Good luck tomorrow, Mary! You will do great :) My first tri is in less than three weeks, so I’m excited to hear about your experience!

7. Meghann
    Meghann July 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm |

Good luck tomorrow! You guys are going to do great!

8. Steph
    Steph July 27, 2012 at 8:03 pm |

Good luck tomorrow!!! How exciting! Top Gun is a great race! Enjoy every second!!!

-Steph :)

9. Julie Baum
    Julie Baum July 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm |

Good Luck Mary and Marcus,
    Sorry we can’t be there to cheer you on. All the best.
    Mom and Dad Baum

10. Kierston
    Kierston July 28, 2012 at 7:13 am |

Good luck!!! :)

11. canada goose expedition parka discount
    canada goose expedition parka discount December 15, 2014 at 10:43 am |

Wonderful article! This is the type of information that should
    be shared across the net. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this publish upper!
    Come on over and talk over with my site . Thank you =)