Wanted: A Shorter Morning Routine

I am usually pretty good about running in the morning. I can get up and get going somewhat easy – it just takes me about 25 minutes from alarm clock ring to actually start running. I feel like that time between waking up is a bit ridiculous. I would much rather just get up, change, and get out the door in 10 minutes or less! That would mean 15 whole minutes more of glorious sleep! Here are a few ideas that I have to get myself out the door a bit quicker.

Put my alarm clock out of reach

If I have to physically get out of bed to turn off my alarm, I will probably just stay out from under the covers. When I ran in college, this was the only way that I was able to get out of bed and be to practice, ready to run, at 6am. Otherwise, I am pretty sure I would have overslept far too many times.

Set out my clothes

This seems very grade-school esque, but I think it works. Having everything laid out makes it sooo much easier to not make up an excuse – “Oh no, I’m out of socks!? Bummer, can’t run…”. Plus, if you don’t actually workout, those same clothes that you were supposed to have already thrown into the dirty clothes are going to be staring at you when you finally get out of bed. Don’t want that now, do we?

Plan things in the afternoon

If I know that I have nothing going on after work, I am wayyyy more likely to hit the snooze button for a few more zzzz’s. But if I have something going on, even if it is just a trip to Target, I have to get up. I almost NEVER skip a workout, so a busy schedule helps me to keep to my early morning running.

Realize how freaking hot it is at night

Even when the sun goes down in the evening, it is still sooo much warmer than running at 6:30 in the morning. The sun that has been shining all day has been soaked up in to all of the asphalt, and is now just radiating up into your sneakers and the rest of your body. It is hot now regardless, but I will go ahead and enjoy even a 5 degree difference at this point. That could be the difference in hitting or not hitting a key workout (which unfortunately for me has been the latter lately…)

Not have to worry about the times I eat all day

If I run at night, I am always looking at the clock to make sure that I eat a snack at the right time, and that I am not eating certain foods passed certain times so that it doesn’t affect my run later. Knowing that I can eat whatever (within moderation, of course) is a really nice perk of morning running. There is little to no GI distress for me if I run in the morning.

Eat an earlier dinner so my food digests better

Wednesday night, I ate dinner close to 9pm. We got home late from swim practice, and then had to actually make dinner, so that made for a less than ideal eating time. Not having to use the facilities in the morning (if ya know what I mean….) makes for a much quicker time to get out the door the next morning! An earlier dinner means your body can digest and dispose of the food earlier (yep, I just referred to poop!)

Schedule to run with a friend

If I ever am scheduled to run with someone else, I never skip it. When I know that someone else is counting on me, I am far more likely to get out the door on time! Not only would I be giving up on my workout, but I would be disappointing a friend as well. There is always power in numbers!

What other ideas do you have to get up earlier in the morning? Share them with me! :)

1. Heather
    Heather August 10, 2012 at 9:17 am |

I do the alarm clock thing so I am forced out of bed. Going to bed early the night before helps!

2. Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air
    Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air August 10, 2012 at 9:31 am |

I definitely lay out my clothes and have my alarm clock across the room. I also think it’s easier if someone else is waking up with you too!! Strength in numbers :)

3. Heather (Where's the Beach)
    Heather (Where's the Beach) August 10, 2012 at 9:48 am |

I remember how hot it already is at 5:30 am and know it’s not going to get any cooler LOL. I also pull out my workout clothes, shoes, socks, all of it so I can just roll out of bed, get dressed and out the door. The first 2 miles I’m still half asleep anyway so it’s not until 3+ that I start to question my sanity ;-)

4. Danielle
    Danielle August 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm |

I think you hit the nail on the head with all of these ideas… now you just have to follow them! ;) I lay out my clothes the night before not only for running, but also for work – I spend way to much time standing in front of my closet, that it just doesn’t make sense for me to do that in the morning when I’d much rather be sleeping. I used to NEVER snooze, but it’s gotten pretty bad. I downloaded this app I read about called “Wake N Shake” where you literally have to shake your iPhone like crazy to get the alarm to turn off. I haven’t used it yet… but that’s always an option too, ha!

5. Debbie @ Live from La Quinta
    Debbie @ Live from La Quinta August 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm |

You have a bunch of great ideas. I think that just like running in the first place, the more you run in the morning the more it becomes a habit. You really do “Just do it.”

As for me, heat or not (and it is now 110 in the pm) I know I won’t run in the afternoon. So it has to get done in the morning. Plus my dog gives me the eye if we don’t go for a run first thing.

So I guess my best suggestion is get a dog for a running partner. They are never too busy, tired, or lazy.

6. Beka @ Rebecca Roams
    Beka @ Rebecca Roams August 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm |

Knowing that the girls are waiting for me to start the run at 5:30am is a lot of motivation! I always lay out my clothes and shoes for the early early morning runs, too.

7. Lana
    Lana August 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm |

“Plan things in the afternoon”<<– so true! Plus, productivity totally increases!

One thing that helps me, and this is grade school-esque too, but packing my lunch, setting out my work clothes (or at least thinking about it, lol) and making breakfast the night before. This makes the whole morning go smoother and it's harder to make excuses! Plus, if you combine and put your oats/milk/banana/almonds/etc. in the fridge overnight, you'll have a delicious insta-breakfast to look forward to after a workout. p.s. this is something I used to be pretty routine about, but have fallen off the band-wagon lately. All your ideas are certainly going to help me!

8. Stacey D
    Stacey D August 13, 2012 at 12:19 am |

I have the same problem getting up in the morning. I’m in AZ, so if I don’t get my run in in the morning, there’s no chance of it happening unless I jump on the dreadmill. I can’t stand the dreadmill. Going to bed early helps, so does laying clothes out. The habit comment above is totally true. I feel like if I make it a habit to snooze or go back to bed, I’ll keep doing it until I beat myself up so much that I feel like a complete loser if I don’t get up! Great topic!