Race Collectibles

I feel like we all have our little quirks when we go on vacation in relation to things we like to pick up. I have a bunch of friends that like to get new shot glasses, or pilsner glasses, or even tshirts. I am definitely one of the people who like to pick up a treasure when travelling, but my little indulgence is not any of the ones mentioned before. I like to get coffee cups!

Now, I’m not talking just a coffee mug either – my favorite ones to find are from races that I have done. It all started with the Turkey Trot that I have come to know and love. A few years back, they started giving out mugs to the Top 100 finishers. The first year I earned one, I knew I had to do so each year after that. So for the past 7 years, I have come home on Thanksgiving with a new porcelain cup! (Not sure where the others are at the moment – biggest culprit -> the dishwasher). After that, it all kind of went down hill. I picked one up in NYC for the New York City Marathon.

And I had to grab one in Boston! I mean, honestly – its Bahston!

I have not been able to find the mugs at all of the other marathons that I have run unfortunately. I was also given a few for my performance in the Michelob Ultra Challenge for the Gasparilla Race Weekend. Finishers that complete the race in the top 10% of their age groups earn a mug, and since I did all 4 races…. well, you get it – I got a box mailed to me with 4 new coffee mugs!

I’ll be on the hunt in Chicago for another mug to add to my collection. Just don’t tell Marcus…. I think it drives him a little crazy! We have a few mugs in our cabinet ;)

My favorite part of my little collection is that every time I use one of the mugs, I think about the race, and the experience I had while competing in it. When I give so much of myself in my training, I think I earned the mug, and I want to be able to hold on to that experience for years to come!

Do you collect anything from big races that you do? Any strange ones? Any other coffee mug collectors out there?

1. Miz
    Miz August 15, 2012 at 5:19 am |

I kinda collect tattoos? :-)
    now to start getting to the racing piece of it all….

2. Melissa
    Melissa August 15, 2012 at 8:45 am |

I collect scrapbook stuff from my races. This is the first year I have really gotten into running so I am trying to do one page for each race.
    So basically, try and get tons of pics, brouchures or anything else I can glitter and glue in there!

I like the coffee mug idea but I think I would break them and then be sad. ;(

3. Molly Ritterbeck
    Molly Ritterbeck August 15, 2012 at 10:11 am |

Okay – Love the tile behind the pictures!

Also – I LOVE COFFEE MUGS!!!!!!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness August 15, 2012 at 11:38 am |

I haven’t collected things before but I LOVE the idea of it to have something else to remember a race by. You know – something you use more often than a race medal. ;)

5. Amanda @ Run Principessa
    Amanda @ Run Principessa August 15, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

I’ve never seen a coffee mug with a race on it!! I’m going to have to keep my eyes open. I don’t really collect anything. So you might have just started a monster.

6. Meghann
    Meghann August 15, 2012 at 1:28 pm |

I collect pint glasses from races :)

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes August 16, 2012 at 8:53 am |

I save race bibs and t-shirts, plus pint glasses if I win one. :) I have so many t-shirts, though, that I sent a bunch of them away to be made into a t-shirt quilt–best idea ever. Now, I need to figure out what to do with all the race bibs. When I go on vacation, I love collecting coffee mugs, too.

8. Jessica
    Jessica August 16, 2012 at 10:10 am |

Oh that’s neat. I didn’t think of doing something like that. I usually save my bib.

9. Danielle
    Danielle August 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm |

John and I collect coffee mugs too!

10. The Chicago Marathon Race Expo
    The Chicago Marathon Race Expo October 6, 2012 at 7:35 pm |

[...] found my marathon coffee mug! I have so many things from everything that I have run over the years, so I don’t usually buy [...]

11. The Zooma Florida Half Marathon
    The Zooma Florida Half Marathon January 21, 2013 at 7:01 am |

[...] very usable age group award. We were given to-go coffee mugs, which was so so exciting! You all know how much I love coffee mugs! And how cute is the shirt we were given for participating as well?! Love love love the chevron [...]