Pumpkin Oat Bread

With Hurricane Isaac out in the Gulf yesterday, Tampa was definitely in the clear in regards to weather. However, it was a very windy day! I decided sleeping in was the way to go, so my run followed last night. With my hamstring and hip acting up a bit, I decided to take it easy and stretch out my legs a bit with a pace run. With that crazy wind, my pace run turned into a very challenging run for the first half! I was working incredibly hard just to hold the 8 minute pace that I was looking for.

Lucky for me, the head wind I had in the beginning was bound to turn into a tail wind on the way back! I turned around at mile 3, put in the same effort, and was hitting 40 seconds a mile faster! Running against the wind exerted as much energy as a tempo run! No wonder it was so hard! I was able to get the entire pace run done with very minimal pain in my hamstring and hip, which is a whole lot more than I have been able to say for the past 4-6 weeks. I still do not plan to push myself hard until I see significant improvements, but it was great to feel even a little bit like myself again. 38 days and counting until race day!!

Pumpkin Oat Bread

Over the weekend, I had some time to play around in the kitchen a bit. It is something that I rarely make the time to do, so I am excited to share a recipe that I made with all of you!

With fall right around the corner, I decided to pick up some pumpkin and make a yummy breakfast treat! Since it has oats in it, in place of some flour, it is a more dense version of your everyday bread. There is a more hearty feel to it, but it is still nice and moist, like pumpkin should be! Here is everything you need for it!

•  1/3 cup Greek yogurt
            • 1/2 cup sugar
            • 2 tsp vanilla extract
            • 2 eggs
            • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
            • 3/4 cup flour
            • 1 tsp baking power
            • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
            • 1/2 tsp baking soda
            • 1/2 tsp salt
            • 1 cup canned pumpkin

Grease a loaf pan well, and preheat the oven to 350. Take the first 2 ingredients and blend together until combined. Add eggs and continue to beat well.  Then, take all other dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture, about a cup at a time. Add pumpkin, and beat well, until all is mixed together.

Pour bread batter into a 9x5x3 pan, and put in the oven for 45-50 minutes, checking when it gets closer to the end.

The loaf is finished when you can insert a toothpick, knife, etc. in the middle, and it comes out clean. Don’t expect this bread to rise like other breads, since there is not a lot of flour. It is a much more dense bread, but in a very good way :)

I topped mine with vanilla Greek yogurt, bananas, and cinnamon. Feel free to top yours with whatever you prefer, or just eat it the way it is. It’s great either way!

How many times have you run into the wind, and then had a great tail wind on the way back? Or maybe the opposite – tail wind at first and then head wind on the way back? Do you make pumpkin bread – any good recipes?

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes August 29, 2012 at 7:40 am |

Both running and riding with headwind are incredibly challenging, and like you wrote, once you hit the turnaround point, the wind finally works in your favor! Whenever this happens–and I feel like I’m not moving–I remind myself to push through it because the tailwind will arrive soon enough. If anything, working out with headwind makes you stronger. :)

The pumpkin bread looks delicious! I was thinking of heading into the kitchen and experimenting with some fall flavors–like apple and pumpkin–now that August is almost over.

2. Steph
    Steph August 29, 2012 at 8:49 am |

Yum! I’m ready to bring back pumpkin into my life! :)

3. Heather
    Heather August 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |

anything pumpkin reminds me of FALL. I cannot wait! This looks so good!

4. Beth (Running with the Sunrise)
    Beth (Running with the Sunrise) August 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm |

This bread looks amazing, and I am all about anything with pumpkin in it. I’m also excited to find another good recipe with things to bake with Greek yogurt. Thanks for posting your recipe!

5. Upcoming Races and Running Zooma!
    Upcoming Races and Running Zooma! September 5, 2012 at 7:00 am |

[…] Pumpkin Madness – Did you hear the PSL is back!? […]

6. Liana@RunToMunch
    Liana@RunToMunch September 5, 2012 at 9:41 am |

mnn pumpkin bread looks great!

7. First CrossFit WOD! | run.live.conquer
    First CrossFit WOD! | run.live.conquer September 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm |

[…] butternut squash, a spaghetti squash and a sugar pumpkin (for fun) for later. I used the pumpkin in this recipe for Pumpkin Oat bread, which is pretty […]

8. Cheap New Style parajumpers jackets
    Cheap New Style parajumpers jackets December 15, 2014 at 5:20 am |

This really is a great written piece! Ive truly bookmarked it and posted it out to almost all of my buddies simply because I know they are curious, thank you very much!

9. Cheap Moncler Coats
    Cheap Moncler Coats December 15, 2014 at 5:27 am |

Ketti overruled peninsula beverley edmon giosa oud macaroon Alfred

10. Cheap Moncler Jackets
    Cheap Moncler Jackets December 15, 2014 at 5:27 am |

It is really amazing to see there is a lot of bullcrap commenting going on on the web these days. You have to ask yourself what really is the goal of thse robots who are doing this. It can be quite a mystery.

11. parajumpers london outlet
    parajumpers london outlet December 15, 2014 at 5:27 am |

Exceptional Stuff, granting I would be in possession to assert that given the number of views this has received it may be desirability thinking about trying to sharpen the spelling and the english! Made a really good read though, excellent matter.

12. parajumpers kodiak jakke
    parajumpers kodiak jakke December 15, 2014 at 5:29 am |

Is it alright to reference part of this on my page if I post a backlink to this page?

13. Moncler Mens Vest Sale
    Moncler Mens Vest Sale December 15, 2014 at 5:30 am |

Straightforward and written well, I appreciate for the info! I can tell that youre very knowlegeable. Im launching an online site soon, along with your information can be quite helpful for myself.. Thanks for your help and also wishing everyone the achievement in your business.

14. Moncler Sale
    Moncler Sale December 15, 2014 at 5:35 am |

I actually want to thank you for but another excellent informative post, I’m a loyal visitor to this weblog and I can’t say how a lot valuable suggestions I’ve learned from reading your content material. I really appreciate all of the hard function you put into this wonderful weblog.

15. parajumpers bomber jakker
    parajumpers bomber jakker December 15, 2014 at 5:36 am |

Hey, this is a great site. Im forever on the lookout for sites resembling this. Carry on the nice effort!

16. Parajumpers Outlet
    Parajumpers Outlet December 15, 2014 at 5:41 am |

Maintain up the great work , I read couple of blog posts on this web site and I believe that your internet site is real interesting and has bands of excellent info .

17. Er parajumpers jakker varm
    Er parajumpers jakker varm December 15, 2014 at 5:42 am |

I enjoy reading article. Hope i can uncover far more articles like this 1. Thanks for posting.

18. Parajumpers Jakker Canada Outlet Sale
    Parajumpers Jakker Canada Outlet Sale December 15, 2014 at 5:45 am |

Fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You must continue your writing. I am confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different customers like its aided me. Great job.

19. Moncler Mens Jackets Sale
    Moncler Mens Jackets Sale December 15, 2014 at 5:46 am |

I completely agree with the above comment, the internet is with a doubt growing into the a excellent number of important medium of communication across the globe and its due to sites like this that ideas are spreading so quickly. My best wishes, Alda.

20. Parajumpers Long Bear
    Parajumpers Long Bear December 15, 2014 at 5:48 am |

Really interesting topic , thanks for putting up.

21. Moncler Womens Vest
    Moncler Womens Vest December 15, 2014 at 5:54 am |

I¡¦m now not positive exactly where you’re finding your information, but excellent subject. I needs to spend some time discovering out much a lot more or working out more. Thanks for amazing details I was seeking for this info for my mission.

22. Parajumpers parka
    Parajumpers parka December 15, 2014 at 5:58 am |

Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News? Ive been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers

23. Moncler On Sale
    Moncler On Sale December 15, 2014 at 5:59 am |

1. Outstandingpost indeed. My boss has been awaiting for this content.