Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls

With last week being Halloween, I was able to make a fun treat for a party that I went to. It was such a hit at the party, that I went ahead and made it again over the weekend when I got together with my triathlon team. We wanted to hang out to do some non-athletic bonding, so we had a football game potluck, and had a blast. I brought a few little pieces of heaven – Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls!

I found the recipe online a few weeks ago for a variation of the treat, but I decided to put my own spin on it. Here is everything that you need:

6 cups of popcorn (popped)

1 cup of peanut butter M&M’s

1 large bag of big puff marshmallows

1 Tbsp of butter

Sprinkles for garnish

Non-stick spray

Directions: In a large sauce pan, melt the butter on very low heat. Pour in the bag of marshmallows, and stir frequently while they melt. Be careful not to burn them!

While the marshmallows are melting, pop the popcorn, place in a large bowl, and pour in the M&M’s.

Once the marshmallows are completely melted, let them cool for a couple of minutes and then pour over the top of the popcorn. To mold the balls, make sure your hands are well-greased with the cooking spray. This is very important! Be careful getting too much of the marshmallow mix on your hands, as it is still pretty hot at this point. Roll the popcorn and M&M’s into the size of a golf ball, and then coat with sprinkles for garnish.

If you want your popcorn balls to be less gooey, just add more popcorn to the mix. It is pretty darn simple! From start to finish, this recipe takes about 10 minutes. They are they perfect mix of salty and sweet, and are not a heavy, rich dessert. I am pretty sure these might become my staple party dessert. So simple, easy to store, and even easier to eat!

Do you like to have popcorn as a dessert to compliment salty and sweet, or are you just all sweet, all the time?!

1. Kat
    Kat November 5, 2012 at 11:47 am |

I love fresh kettle corn…like from the Renaissance festival…yum! Marshmallow is an evil thing to me…I almost bought a jar of fluff this weekend ;)

2. Laura
    Laura November 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

I was just craving popcorn balls the other day, how random! Thanks for this– saves me the step of doing the research. They look yummy!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 5, 2012 at 5:59 pm |

These look like the perfect little kid treat! And adult treat. Duh. ;)

4. Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife
    Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm |

mmm nothing like a little sweet with something a little salty! these look delicious and so easy! thanks for sharing! (:

5. Caroline Calcote
    Caroline Calcote November 6, 2012 at 8:13 am |

Are you planning to come to the TBLB holiday cookie exchange? If not, I may make these! They look awesome :)

6. Maria @powerpeanutlife
    Maria @powerpeanutlife November 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm |

Salty & Sweet combo all the way. You should try Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate bar w/ toffee, walnuts, and pecans. So good. It has a tinge of saltiness to it. Can you tell I love it?

7. Matthew
    Matthew April 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm |

Thank you for the well-written content.I greatly appreciated you generosity and service you offer through the noo cost tips on your blog, particularly the ones provided through
    this article. I know that Alice would love to learn more
    oof your blog post. We’ve sent your website address to her.
    We taake pleasure in your thoughtfulness in this difficult time.