Stand Up Paddleboarding

When the holiday season comes around, sometimes it is hard to find time to get in planned exercise from a normal routine. Certain runs don’t get done, strength training sessions get skipped, and excuses are everywhere! However, just because you are not exercising in a standard way, doesn’t mean you have to be lazy!

The triathlon team that I am a part of decided to put a spin on exercise over the weekend, and we all went out paddleboarding! Living in Florida, we may never get to play in the snow, but it is pretty easy to do water sports just about year around! When everyone else was bundled up last Sunday, we were hanging in our bathing suits and having a blast!

We took advantage of a Google Offer back in the summer time, which was 2 paddleboarding lessons for the price of 1 with Tampa Bay Stand Up Paddle Boarding. I made an appointment for all of us at the same time, which was definitely the best way to go about it! Kim, our instructor, let all of us know exactly what we needed to do to be successful on the boards. There is a bit of technique to it for sure – bent knees, a tip at the hip, and some pushing and pulling.

She even took some extra time with me. Spoiler – I am a big sissie. I was so bad at paddleboarding! Seriously! I spent way more time sitting on board than standing!

There was a lot of falling, jumping, jousting, and just an overall amazing time! I love all these people! Words just can’t even describe the fun we had – these photos will have to do!!

Ever been paddleboarding? What do you like to do for some fun fitness?

1. beka
    beka November 14, 2012 at 7:44 am |

I have never been paddle boarding, but im dying to go! I am scared of deep ocean water so I’m not sure how that will work out …haha

2. Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife
    Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 14, 2012 at 7:53 am |

I have never went paddleboarding before but it looks like soooo much fun! I’ll do it one day! (:

3. Albert
    Albert November 14, 2012 at 8:30 am |
    Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 14, 2012 at 8:42 am |

What a fun time! I would love to go paddleboarding, but it’s 37 degrees in NYC right now, so sadly, it won’t be happening anytime soon. :(

5. Kat
    Kat November 14, 2012 at 9:03 am |

Such fun! We did it on our honeymoon in Antigua and it was so cool seeing all of the huge fish underneath me!

6. meghan @ little girl in the big world
    meghan @ little girl in the big world November 14, 2012 at 9:43 am |

This looks like so much fun! We saw so many people doing this in Hawaii on our honeymoon, but Tim (my tour guide) had pre-scheduled all the activities and we didn’t have time to spare for it. I want to go here now that I know it’s available!

7. Katie
    Katie November 14, 2012 at 10:35 am |

I went paddling boarding this summer (I live in Minnesota so it was on a lake) my cousins brought them over and I was surprised how fun and easy it was! Even my 60 year old aunts were enjoying it! We were lucky enough to have a very smooth lake, I’m sure it would be more difficult with waves/a current, but I’m hoping to do it again soon! (I’d love to buy a paddleboard but they are spendy!!)

8. Meghann
    Meghann November 14, 2012 at 11:49 am |

Ahhh… I’m so sad I missed this! Looks like a blast. We need to plan another SUP adventure!

9. Tricia@ZOOMA