The 2012 Women’s Half Marathon

There are some weekends that I feel that hopping on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram is a huge race tease. Luckily, this weekend I was a part of all of the racing fun! I ran the Women’s Half Marathon for a fun way to get back into racing after the Chicago Marathon. I picked up my race bib from the expo (check out my post from last year, as it didn’t change much), had a relaxing dinner, and was up bright and early for a very chilly race morning!

Meghann and I carpooled to the race, and decided we would run as much of the race as we could together. We have so many of the same race and always have a blast – yesterday was no different! We chatted for a bit, and then got in a nice easy rhythm. We spotted her fiance a couple of times on the course, and he snapped some fun pictures! We are suckers for a camera ;)

(Photo Credit to Meghann)

The cloud cover really kept the temps down. I never felt hot or uncomfortable – it was the perfect time for a half marathon. It was even nice enough for Callie, who is 38 weeks pregnant, to be out with her husband and the mini athlete, cheering us all on like crazy. She had signed up to run the race before baby #2 was on the way, but had to sit this one out. We spotted her at the 4.5 mile mark and were soooo excited to see her!

(Photo Credit to Meghann)

(Photo credit to Callie)

We gave her a big wave, and were off for the rest of the course. Once we got to the pier around mile 7.5, we had a pretty intense head wind, and that is where Meghann and I split up. I was feeling fine, and decided to just cruise for the rest of the race. The course is really awesome, but I really can’t say much for the last 3 miles. It took us around a lake and around Tropicana field, but the spectators were minimal and it was pretty boring. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the course! I picked it up for the last mile or so at brought it in strong.

(Photo Credit to Callie)

Running races for fun is so worth it. So many times when I toe the start line, I have a time goal in mind. I had no expectations for yesterday’s race, and had no interest in pushing myself. I wanted to have fun with friends and take it all in, and that is exactly what I did. I was laughing and smiling the whole time, and just enjoyed an easy Sunday morning run.

The only difference on yesterday’s run from regular weekend runs? I ended up with one of these!

What can I say… I do it for the bling ;)

A huge congratulations for all of the first time half marathoners that were out there yesterday! I knew so many amazing ladies finishing the distance for the first time, and loved seeing all of their updates. Congrats to Melissa, who really kicked butt! So proud of you!

Another big thing event that happened yesterday in our house – Winnie turned one!

Yes, she wore a birthday hat on her big day. What can I say, she likes to be festive ;) We have had so much fun with her the past year, and have loved watching her grow. It is hard to believe she was this big when we brought her home.

And now she is 75 pounds of crazy dog!

Happy birthday sweet girl!! You make our days a lot more fun and exciting!

Anyone else race this weekend? How did it go? Do you ever run races solely for fun, and have no time goal in mind – or are you a slave to your watch?

1. Tricia@ZOOMA
    Tricia@ZOOMA November 19, 2012 at 9:36 am |

Congrats on a great race Mary!

2. Beka @ rebecca roams
    Beka @ rebecca roams November 19, 2012 at 10:29 am |

Congrats on a great time for a fun run”! It was good to see you yesterday :) It was a good day indeed.
    Winnie is so photogenic. She steals my <3!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 19, 2012 at 10:42 am |

Running races for fun is the best! That’s my plan for Thursday’s Turkey Trot. :) And happy birthday, Winnie!

4. meghan @ little girl in the big world
    meghan @ little girl in the big world November 19, 2012 at 10:42 am |

What a great race day! The weather was perfect! I went into it thinking I’d maybe like to try to go sub 2, but no PR ambitions. It was fun to just run and push a little. Congrats on your fun run! And happy birthday to Winnie. She’s precious.

5. Kat
    Kat November 19, 2012 at 10:49 am |

Great seeing you girls on course! I’m not a speedy vet like you but am still in awe of my 1:58 finish! First half and PR, in the bag! Xo

6. Samantha
    Samantha November 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm |

I did the 5K portion of the race yesterday, and I loved it. I had my own PR (27:42!), so I was super stoked about that. Afterward, I went to go cheer on the half-marathoners, and I saw you running! It was fun to see someone in person instead of just on the blog. Congrats on a good time! I think next year I will be doing 13.1 instead of 3.1!

7. Beth
    Beth November 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm |

Congrats Mary! You all look like you had a blast and it was definitely a tease for me on FB and twitter! lol

8. Carissa
    Carissa November 19, 2012 at 10:35 pm |

I’m glad to know I wasn’t the only one, who wasn’t a fan of the last 3 miles. The looping was not fun for sore hips.

See you at OUC!

9. Melissa
    Melissa November 20, 2012 at 9:29 am |

HEY! I made the blog. A little sore still today. I am taking it easy until this weekend and then I am looking forward to getting my pace time down on the 5Ks and maybe try another longer distance for Gasparilla. Thanks Mary for all your support and advice. She knew I could do it LONG before I was sure. PS. I only knew I would finish around mile 13. :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 20, 2012 at 3:05 pm |

Love doing races just for fun! And the bling is always nice. ;) Although I will say your just for fun pace is killer.

11. Lana
    Lana November 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm |

Mary! Congrats on the wonderful race! Also, happy birthday Winnie!! I miss her slobbery face :)

12. Bachelorette Runners
    Bachelorette Runners December 3, 2012 at 6:38 am |

[...] a workout (which I decided when I was at the starting line) than taking it nice and easy like the Women’s Half Marathon a couple of weeks ago. I kept a pretty solid sub 8 minute pace for the first half, and then hit [...]