Workout Wednesday – Start with Stability

It is no secret that I have not been a gym regular lately. It is always the activity that I cut from my exercise regimen first when my life gets crazy, even though I know it is one thing that helps me significantly. Having a stronger core and overall a stronger body helps with so many things – running, walking, even just sitting at work. Since I had my hamstring and hip issues for my last marathon, I am taking charge now by incorporating more strength workouts before embarking on a new training plan.

Since I am considering that I am starting from scratch, I am going to use myself as a guinea pig for my personal training style. I am going to use what I learned in my NASM training on myself – for those of you interested in personal training in the future, these Workout Wednesday posts can give you a glimpse of what it would be like to work with me! Yep – I’ll be dedicating Wednesdays to some sort of strength training from now on – whether it is a workout, specific technique, or just tips!

My first workout back at the gym was focused on stability, rather than the amount of weight I was lifting. I plan to continue with this until I feel more comfortable and my balance and strength returns to normal. I did 3 sets of 10 reps for each exercise. For weighted exercises, I used between 10-12 lbs, whichever felt more comfortable. Each starburst is a super set, so I went from one exercise to the other within the starburst, and then took a small break in between (technical terminology, I know) ;)

Really focus on keeping your core tight for all of the exercise. Do not curve your back, and take time to hold the exercise for at least 3 seconds.

Anyone like to start with stability before moving into strength? Let me know if you have any questions about the workout!

1. Caroline Calcote
    Caroline Calcote November 28, 2012 at 8:17 am |

I have also not been at the gym lately and normally I am a total gym rat. Actually, I gave notice at my gym (LA Fitness, bleh) and am currently in between gyms. I am feeling very out of shape. I need to just step up and join Golds (I want to get back to my Les Mills classes that I love).

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 28, 2012 at 8:40 am |

During the triathlon off-season, I want to focus on strength training, specifically my lower body, and core work. I usually default to working out my upper body, but I need to develop my quads, hams, and calves, which will help a ton with biking and running (swimming, too, but not as much). And like you wrote, it’s so important to have a strong core. Let the work begin!

3. Amanda @RunToTheFinish
    Amanda @RunToTheFinish November 28, 2012 at 8:52 am |

really great point! i think we all focus on core as ab work, but stability is huge is making the rest of it work well too

4. Beth
    Beth November 28, 2012 at 9:09 am |

This looks like a tough but great workout Mary. I have been implementing at least one day of strength training and I see a huge difference in how my IT band feels. I may print out this workout and do it without going to another bodypump class. lol!

5. Lauren @ LaurenPhelpsCoaching
    Lauren @ LaurenPhelpsCoaching August 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm |

Very Nice! I love your starburst terminology! I got certified through NASM earlier this month. I found you while googling stabilization exercises! Love your site. Have a fabulous day!

6. hollister new york black friday sale
    hollister new york black friday sale December 15, 2014 at 1:27 am |

Pour ne pas rentrer les mains vides, ils poursuivent leur qu锚te et tombent sur une route sem茅e de pi猫ges. Soudainement, un coup de feu retentit. Un homme masqu茅, perch茅 sur le toit d’ un immeuble, leur demande de partir en laissant armes et chaussures. Les trois survivants ne se laissent pas impressionner et ripostent. Dans la bataille, Carl parvient 脿 blesser l’homme, qui s’茅vanouit.