Shoulder Shredder Swim Workout

When making new training plans for my coaching clients, there is always one aspect that I never leave out – cross training! I am such a firm believer that it is absolutely necessary to get in workouts other than running at least once per week. Personally, I cross train twice per week. It is what my body needs and is the best way to keep me strong and injury free. On my non-running days, I make a conscious effort to do effective cross-training – meaning, my heart rate it still high, I breathe heavy, and I get in a good sweat. I don’t just hop on the elliptical and cruise for 30 minutes – I don’t see the benefit to that.

One of my big goals last year was to get in the pool more regularly, and I have to say I definitely achieved that goal – surpassed it even! With cooler weather, swim workouts are not the most appealing, but with our recent 80 degree days here in Tampa, the pool has been a fun place to be! We got in the pool again last night for one heck of a workout! Check it out!

Shoulder Shredder Swim.jpg

Since we have had a bit if a break from the pool due to the holidays, my shoulders we absolutely burning after this workout! I can tell it had been qutie a while since I had a hard swim workout, and this one absolutely kicked my butt! We did each set on the interval listed above. And when I say that we did 4×25 at 40 seconds, that means that every 40 seconds we left for the next repeat – whether it took you 20 seconds to do the interval or 38 seconds, you still had to leave on the 40.

Swimming definitely isn’t my favorite, but I can definitely credit my PR in Chicago to some of the swimming – I didn’t do any speed work, so I really think my amped up swimming helped me to run much faster than if I hadn’t been in the pool!

Do you swim much during the winter? Do you ever do ladder workouts like this, where you go up in distance, and then come back down? Are you a big advocate of cross-training?

1. Becky C.
    Becky C. January 16, 2013 at 7:33 am |

As a former high school swimmer, I know the benefits, but I remember all those really cold morning workouts and it is hard to want to swim on a really cold morning. 20 degree temps are fine for running but I can’t get motivated for the pool.

2. Felipe
    Felipe January 16, 2013 at 8:37 am |

Get used to it – there is plenty more where that one came from!

Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 16, 2013 at 9:08 am |

Since I started triathloning this summer, I’ve been swimming very regularly; it’s my “Achilles heel,” so I spent a lot of the off-season logging minutes in the pool. My team’s official training started last week, so our workouts are focused on form/technique, but I will definitely keep this interval set in mind!

4. beka @ rebecca roams
    beka @ rebecca roams January 16, 2013 at 9:18 am |

I love crosstraining! Still haven’t gotten in a pool yet to learn to swim properly, but it does seem like such a beneficial workout.

5. Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family
    Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family January 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm |

LOVE this workout! As a former swim coach I am dying to get back in the water :)

6. Meghan @ little girl in the big world
    Meghan @ little girl in the big world January 16, 2013 at 8:04 pm |

Oh goody. Something to look forward to! Cross-training! I need it…

7. Runner Girl Eats
    Runner Girl Eats January 17, 2013 at 6:45 am |

I am guilty of never cross training. But I have made it a point to do it at least once a week now and starting to like it. However, I wont even dream of gettign into the pool until May lol

8. Moncler Down Chalecos Hombres
    Moncler Down Chalecos Hombres December 14, 2014 at 10:53 pm |

look at that Shashui away! Xiaoyi Yun mentioned casually, for this purpose lot of people, absolutely nothing is to imply, simply to remove to get remove. Mome.
    Moncler Down Chalecos Hombres

9. Moncler maglione uomo
    Moncler maglione uomo December 15, 2014 at 4:47 am |

p oker Rota artifact Terran ethnic background, if the actual indemnity regarding Rota in this particular, through the Terran will not decrease. Mi obscurity regarding Rota and additionally.
    Moncler maglione uomo

10. モンクレール Bady
    モンクレール Bady December 15, 2014 at 7:49 am |

ドアがドラム、おいのにドキドキしました。々はてますが、ダースGuanciをて、にてドアのに、がこったのかわからない。に、にも OPTハウスは、ののささやきにかってして、をるためににまった。はい、ここで
    モンクレール Bady

11. www.tekniweb.fr
    www.tekniweb.fr December 15, 2014 at 10:03 am |

Blessé à la cheville lors de la rencontre face à Sacramento, le 1er mars,Tony Parker avait donné des frayeurs au staff et aux fans des San Antonio Spurs.